Monday, August 10, 2015

Why Am I Blogging?


I am here today, right now, writing this because my passion for health overwhelms my mind. I get butterflies every time I read information on health and healing. It is ridiculous. I finally decided that I should try to get my thoughts down on paper because I want to help others find peace through living a healthy lifestyle. I also want to become healthier. I have also been feeling bored now that I am done with school wondering what I should do with my time other than work.  I started writing a book, but it was unrealistic, so my friend Sara inspired me to start a blog instead.

I started writing this with an audience in my mind- the people who love me and the people I love.  I want the people that I love to be happy. I want the people I love to be in control of their own life, their health, and their peace. I want to inspire my loved ones and those who mean the most to me. I want to try to be healthier. I want to promote health and try my best to prevent the disease process among everyone I encounter. It is so unbelievable how many diseases can be prevented. It is also amazing how the body can heal if disease decides to be present. I want to do my best, as a single individual, to get people to live healthier lifestyles. I also want to live a healthier lifestyle and reduce my chance of disease.


There are many people in my life I know who have disease. We all know someone who has disease- and it hurts. It never is easy hearing that someone you love has been diagnosed with an illness. This is why I want to stress the importance of disease prevention, health promotion, and certain health disciplines. I studied Community Health Education and Portland State University where I took an array of public health classes that gave me an overall basic perspective on health and what it means. I quickly realized that health is complex. There are so many steps and actions needed to be taken in order to be healthy, but most importantly, people need to be educated about how to take those steps and where to begin. My degree in Health Education and Promotion focuses on behaviors, systems, environments, and policies affecting health at a variety of levels.


I want to strive to educate people and eventually give my loved ones the proper knowledge, in order to adjust any attitudes, skills, and behaviors, which can empower them to take more control over their personal, community, and environmental health and well-being as well. However, little did I know how hard it would actually be to help people take control over their health. Community health is like putting a fire out with a single cup of water. It is hard enough to take care of your own health, let alone to change an entire community. I struggle finding balances in all of the temptations. Many people can’t stop eating meat, can't stop eating dairy, can't stop eating sugar, and can't stop drinking alcohol. Many people will eat fast food, smoke cigarettes, fail to recycle, and drink sugar for the rest of their lives. However, I can try to get people’s attitudes to change and hopefully people will question their behaviors. People do not want to be told what to do. It is simple. I don’t like being told what to do either, however, if someone has information that is going to bring peace and happiness into my life, then I will be open for it. I hope one day I can acquire skills to help others make changes.


An important concept that I am really passionate about is that we are all connected. Your actions affect the community and the actions of the community affect you. In reality, your actions affect the world. Your health affects your loved ones and your happiness affects your loved ones. You affect me, and I affect you. The health of individuals can only be effectively understood within the context of entire communities and broad environments. In order to understand health and health habits, it is important to encompass individual and community behavior. We are products of the environment we live in, which influences our behaviors and health habits, however, we as individuals have some of the power to control ourselves and our behaviors for the most part. Nobody else can do it for you. We need to cultivate ownership of our own actions and behaviors, for what we can control.



How does one find the peace within? Does it even exist? Does it have to do with health? I’d like to peace exists and lies within your health, in a holistic way. Your mind and mentality, physical body, spirit, emotions, and social connections all affect your peace and health. Obedience, resilience, decision-making skills, knowledge, an enabling environment, a good attitude, and a passion for being alive also affect peace. Every time you eat, every time you drink, every thought you think, and every action you take, you are either feeding disease or fighting it. Every thought you take, and every action you take also influences the peace within you. We are all on this journey in life, taking steps each day. Where is each step taking you? Do you find meaning in your life? What makes you happy? Where has this journey taken you, and where do you want to go? I understand nobody really knows, but I am slowly discovering meaning in my life, my happiness, and my health. I truly like to believe peace comes from healthy habits. The healthier we are- the more energy we have, the more glowing we are, and the more relaxed we are. I strive to be a peaceful, healthy person, and it helps me get through each day with a smile on my face and hope for the future.

Let's all be the best we can be. Let's find that peace that lies within our health.

Thanks for reading my blog and stay tuned for updates:)

No comments:

Post a Comment